MILTON — City Manager Randy Jorgenson has called on the residents of city of Milton to end allegations of unethical and illegal conduct on the part of the former Milton Cemetery Board that he called completely "baseless" and untrue.
During the last week's City Council meeting, Jorgenson took an opportunity to speak on behalf of the former all-volunteer board that managed for the historic cemetery. He said that since the board announced their resignation, he had been alerted to social media sites, including several pages on Facebook, that have made unfounded allegations against the former members.
"After reviewing all the material available, it is my concerted opinion that at no time has the (Milton Historic Cemetery) board acted unethically and certainly not illegally in the conduct of their affairs," Jorgenson said. "Any expression to the contrary is baseless and they need to stop.”
Jorgenson also said when it comes to council asking questions to staff members, there are some things he wants everyone to know.
"I want to say members of council cannot ask questions which are considered by staff to be inappropriate or excessive," he said. "Staff is to seek guidance on the questions and formulate a response. In the conduct of these activities, time is consumed and an immediate answer may not be available."
The Milton Cemetery Board resigned during the July 1 City Council meeting citing a letter written by Councilwoman Shannon Rice as their reason. Rice's letter addressed various questions and concerns she had about the cemetery.
Former board chairman Pamela Mitchell said at the time of the board's resignation that she hoped Milton saw that they had left the cemetery better than they found it and that they stood by their record of service and dedication to the community.