10 years ago
• After waiting nearly five years for construction to begin on a new fishing pier on Navarre Beach, Santa Rosa County officials had scheduled a ceremony to celebrate the start of work. Actually, Ed Waters and Son Contracting Co. of St. Augustine had started the job the previous month and was making good progress, County Engineer Roger Blaylock said.
• In a petition for a hearing that claims he was fired without good cause, Bob Richburg was seeking reinstatement as president of Northwest Florida State College. The college's board of trustees had voted to fire Richburg in April.
• When many seniors opened their Fort Walton Beach High School yearbooks, they flipped right past page 60 without a second glance. But the obscene word hidden at the bottom of the page didn’t go unnoticed for long. “I missed it the first time, too,” Principal Charlene Couvillon said.
5 years ago
• Students at West DeFuniak Elementary School would begin wearing only wear gray, navy and blue shirts with the school's name on them when school started in August. The Walton County School Board approved the uniforms at a recent meeting.
• The last things Ja'Shawn Robinson saw every night when he turned out the light were his cap and gown. They were the most tangible reminder that he wouldl be the first person in his family to graduate from high school when he received his diploma from Okaloosa Academy.