MILTON — Patrons of a Burger King couldn't have it their way Aug. 17 after an inspector from the Department of Business and Professional Regulations closed the restaurant.

During the routine inspection, nine basic violations were discovered along with one high-priority violation.

The item of greatest concern was the discovery that the employees were reusing single-use gloves, according to the inspection report.

Employees were using the same gloves when changing tasks, the inspector noted.

He also found cracked floor tiles, a hole in the wall, dead roaches and plumbing problems, including one that caused water to spread through the dining area and public restrooms.

Customers were walking through the standing water to refill their drinks, the report said.

When the inspector returned the next day, most of the violations had been corrected and the restaurant reopened.