1. ENJOY LOCAL MUSIC. Bands on the Blackwater returns 7 p.m. May 19 on South Willing Street. The outdoor concert series, held Friday nights in downtown Milton, is free to attend. You can pull up a boat or bring a lawn chair and relax while listening to music. This week’s featured performer is The Reunion Band.
2. MAKE A SPLASH. The Blackwater Water Fest, a part of Milton in May, will be held from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. in downtown Milton. This event is hosted by the city of Milton and is free for all ages. Festivities will include several water slides and a shower from a Milton Fire Department truck.
3. ADMIRE CARS. The Camp Fire Benefit Car Show will be held 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. May 20 at South Willing Street in downtown Milton. The event, free to attend, will benefit Camp Fire Gulf Wind, a child care and development center. To enter a vehicle in the show, it is $25 in advance or $30 day of show. Categories include hot rods, domestic antiques, domestic moderns, imported antiques, imported moderns, motorcycles and people’s choice. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to register.
4. INSPECT YOUR BOAT. The Blackwater Pyrates and the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary are sponsoring a free water vessel examination day from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. May 20 at Carpenter’s Park boat landing in Milton. Vessels passing inspection will receive a sticker. This is not a law enforcement inspection; vessels not passing will be given a checklist of deficiencies, but not a citation. Deficiencies will be corrected free of charge by the Auxiliary and Blackwater Pyrates on the spot, within reason. The Blackwater Pyrates will also sponsor a Blessing of the Fleet, in conjunction with The Knights of Columbus of Milton. It takes place 1 p.m. May 20 at the Memorial Park Boardwalk downtown. Contact Carl Whitson at 982-8270 or email@example.com for more information on these events.
5. HAVE SOME BARBECUE. The Milton in May Backyard BBQ Competition is set 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. May 20 in downtown Milton. The event is a cook-off for local barbecue cooks and is hosted by the Knights of Columbus Council of Milton. Cash prizes will be given to the top “Q-ers” along with a People’s Choice Award. Proceeds from the event go to local charities. Visit miltoninmaybbq.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.