Two mobile home fires were reported last week in Navarre.
The first happened last Saturday when a residential structure fire in the 1900 block of Church Street in the Midway Fire District caught fire.
This fire represents the first candle extinguished on the “Keep Your Holidays Bright” fire safety tree.
Santa Rosa Emergency Communications was notified of the fire in a mobile home at 2:18 p.m. Dec. 22. Crews arrived on scene at 2:20 p.m., and the fire was under control by 2:35 p.m. Units from Midway, Gulf Breeze and Holley-Navarre responded. The fire, believed to be started by a space heater, destroyed the camper and displaced one adult. The American Red Cross was called to assist. No one was injured; however, a pet dog was lost in the fire.
A second residential structure fire represents the second candle to be extinguished on the fire safety tree.
Santa Rosa County Emergency Communications received a call at 5:54 a.m. Friday reporting a fire in the 8400 block of Sevilla Street in Navarre.
The fire was fully involved when crews arrived on scene at 6:01 a.m. The one resident of the home was transported to Gulf Breeze Hospital in stable condition for smoke inhalation.
The mobile home was a total loss, and the state fire marshal is investigating the cause of the fire. Holley-Navarre, Navarre Beach, Midway and Florosa fire departments responded.
Underwriters Laboratories offer the following safety tips when using a space heater:
• Keep all space heaters at least three feet away from household combustibles.
• Use space heaters only as a supplementary source of heat. These devices are not intended to replace the home’s heating system.
• Do not use extension cords with space heaters unless absolutely necessary.
• Inspect the heater’s cord periodically to look for frayed wire or damaged insulation. Do not use a space heater with a damaged cord.
• Check periodically for a secure plug/outlet fit. If the plug becomes very hot, the outlet might need to be replaced by a qualified technician. This could be the sign of a potential home wiring issue.
• Heaters should be placed on a flat, level surface. Do not place heaters on furniture because they might fall and become damaged or break parts in the heater.
• Unless the heater is designed for use outdoors or in bathrooms, do not use in damp, wet areas.
• Look for the UL Mark on your electric heater. This means representative samples of the appliance have met UL’s stringent safety standards.
Two fires mean two candles on fire safety tree extinguished
Dec 31, 2012 at 12:01 AM Dec 31, 2012 at 9:58 AM