Students going into the third through sixth grades are invited to come have summer fun at the Indian Temple Mound Museum! Kids will explore archaeology in a museum setting at real archaeological sites. This year’s camp is July 15-19. The following topics will be explored during this year’s camp:
• Digging Into the Past. Campers will experience a mock excavation and field archaeology.
• Partners with the Past. Campers will learn about early Native American life as they analyze artefacts and learn Native American skills.
• March into the Past. Campers will learn about the Civil War and visit Civil War history sites right here in Ft. Walton Beach.
• School Then and Now. Campers will experience a day in the life of a student in the historic 100-year old Camp Walton Schoolhouse Museum.
• History Alive. Campers bring everything they learned together in summary activities from creating an archaeology exhibit in the museum to building a colony.
The camp fee is $100 and all snacks and materials are included. Camp runs from 8:00am-12:30pm each day. Registration forms are available at the Indian Temple Mound Museum during regular business hours. Heritage Park & Cultural Center is located at 139 Miracle Strip Parkway SE in downtown Fort Walton Beach Florida. The Indian Temple Mound Museum is open from 10:00am-4:30pm Monday through Saturday. For further information please call 850-833-9595.
The City of Fort Walton Beach Heritage Park & Cultural Center is a community outreach division of the City and is committed to providing area historical educational programming.